Thursday, October 4, 2012

Wow, did I feel old today!

The students made me feel really old today =(
With the TREASURES series, we have a read aloud anthology about Alexander Graham Bell and the students learn what a non fiction story is and also what a biography is.  As we read the story, we discussed the word invented and what it means.
Today, we revisited the text but I also showed the brainpopjr.com video about Alexander Graham Bell http://www.brainpopjr.com/socialstudies/biographies/alexandergrahambell/

We discussed the word invention again and to help them get a better understanding of the word, I told them that when I was in 1st grade, there were no EnoBoards, iPads, iPhones, or laptops!  Their mouths were hanging open in shock!  Then, one of my students said, "Was there electricity?"  I almost died laughing!!!!!! The class had a lot of fun discussing different inventions and what kind of invention they would create.

For Social Studies, we have been discussing the different types of families and houses and drawing our family with the appropriate labels.  I will post pictures of finished products next week.

For Science next week, I am planning to do a pumpkin study.  I go a lot of great resources from Pinterest and other great blogs to help the students observe pumpkins in the classroom and we will also create a pumpkin glyph.


Pumpkin Glyph Here is the letter that I sent home to the parents.


Pumpkin Taste Testing Letter
For those of you who use Treasures/Tesoros, here are labels that I have for my FOCUS wall in English and Spanish.


Mainstage Labels ENGLISH

Here are the Spanish labels.

Mainstage Labels SPANISH

Here is my HW format for the month...Obviously the words change weekly and I do change the Spanish HW because I usually have to create my own.


Word Activities for OCTOBERU1W1

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the week and the long weekend!
Can't wait! My official date to receive tenure is October 10th!!! T-minus 6 days!  Yay!!!
Happy teaching!

Alyson Hennessy


No comments:

Post a Comment