Friday, October 12, 2012

Calabazas!!!

This week, we used our "5 sentidos" to practice being "cientificos".  The students had a blast learning all about "calabazas".  We read "Tiempo de calabazas" and created the pumpkin life cycle.  We also did rhyming pumpkins, a pumpkin glyph, and counted all of the  "semillas" inside the pumpkins! We had a medium and a small pumpkin and all together, we had 563 seeds!! I took the seeds home, mixed them in butter and cinnamon and baked them at 300 degrees.  The kids thought they tasted like popcorn! I also brought in pumpkin pie and they thought it was "sweet" and "delicious".  Our next plan is to actually plant a pumpkin seed inside one of the pumpkins.  We dug out all of the inside and seeds of the pumpkin and we want to see what happens if we plant the seed.

(For some reason my pics are not uploading-I will try again this weekend-Sorry!)
We also read "Officer Buckle and Gloria".  I introduced how to use post-its and the class created their own safety rules.


In the upcoming weeks, I am planning to do Community Helpers, Fire Safety, Sink/Float, Flat Stanley/maps, and am also going to work with my class parents to plan a Fall Festival Celebration! What do you do for your fall celebrations?? In the past, I have brought in food but I have a few allergies this year so I plan on doing a few arts and craft stations and Fall bingo!  I love the Fall!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I have some grading to do, work for my Masters class, and on Sunday, I am doing the Breast Cancer walk in honor of a family friend! Let's find a cure for all cancers!


Adios amigos!

Alyson Hennessy

No comments:

Post a Comment